It was the late 1940's or early 1950's when the Federal Power Commission allocated a portion of the natural gas that flowed through the Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line Company to the municipalities of Clinton and Newberry. This pipeline ran through northwestern South Carolina. It was decided that the best way to accomplish this was to create a transmission line from Newberry through Clinton to Fountain Inn, where it would connect to the Transcontinental line. From there, that line would serve distribution lines to the municipalities and their surrounding areas.
The State decided that the best way to accomplish this was to establish an authority empowered to: 1) Cause the construction of the project, 2) Finance the project through loans payable from the earnings of the system, and 3) To operate and maintain the system for the benefit of the municipalities.
So our enabling Act 789 was written in February of 1952 and signed into law, and the Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority was born. Since that time, through subsequent Acts and agreements, we have expanded to serve areas of Laurens and Newberry Counties, from Fountain Inn to Lake Murray, Lake Greenwood to Whitmire. We also serve a small portion of southern Spartanburg County.
From humble beginnings, we now serve around 13,000 customers with clean, efficient natural gas. We would be honored to serve your location too!